Sunday, June 7, 2015

Character love: Oz from Pandora Hearts

Okay, so I know I've been posting a lot of anime and feel a tiny bit bad about that. But anime is what I breeze through, and I finish a show at least once a month, if it's a short one, so I've pretty much got a plethora of ones to review or pick a character from.

Plus, animes are just good, okay?

Anyhoo, today's character love post is of Oz Bezarius from Pandora Hearts.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110727233035/pandora-hearts/images/9/9c/Oz_1.jpg
I mean, look at this little child-sized bundle of fluff and sunshine and happiness!! Isn't he adorable??
 Oz is a character that resonates a bunch with me. He's... oddly resigned to his fate, but still acts so cheery and like nothing is wrong, when in reality, he's got a cruddy father. He wants to help his friends, and he believes in them with his whole heart and is more than willing to put his life on the line for them.

He isn't reckless, which is a slight surprise, since I seem to tend to like the slightly more flamboyant and reckless characters. He does make stupid decision on occasion, though.

He's raised in a duke household, so he's got a bit of a commanding streak in him. He doesn't often issue commands to the other characters, but when he does, you can tell he's not quite used to being disobeyed.

He's oddly chill about everything that happens. Which is very surprising, since I'd be quietly freaking the freak out. And then squeeing like mad because of something that ends up happening in the plot. (Lets just say that any Doctor Who fan would really enjoy Pandora Hearts. Also fans of anything Alice in Wonderland related.) He's very chill, and very philosophical. It's honestly a refreshing change to have "I'LL HELP YOU ALICE" instead of "I'LL SAVE THE WORLD."

I've listed one flaw (the commanding thing) and have another I want to mention. The philosophical-ness.

So many times, it would be completely normal for Oz to just start crying, or yelling, or just being completely and utterly lost and... shattered, for lack of a better word. Instead, he shoves that aside, bottling it up. Which doesn't do good things to a person. (Gee, guess how I know? I betcha none of you will get it. )

Off the top of my head, I don't remember him ever breaking down, unlike the other character that's a lot like him that I've mentioned. (In the Blast of Tempest review.) However, I am rewatching it and it's been a while, so that is subject to change. I'm hoping it will, because Heartless-Writer-Me likes watching characters fall apart. It reveals so much about their character, doesn't it??

He also has a slight dark side that hardly ever comes out. But when it does, you take a step back and go "woah this kids intense. Dang." It's wonderful.

Anyhow, Oz is just a beautiful character, inside and out. I mean, look at that adorable blond hair and cheery grin and lovely green eyes. Precious baby. <3

Are there any characters you love that stick out from the typical mold of 'I'll save the world?' Any animes (or books) you'd like me to look into and possibly review? What's your favorite character from something animated?

I shall see you all on Thursday!!
--Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. HE SOUNDS SO ADORABLE. Dang it, Rebecca, why do you keep posting more animes I need to watch? I only just got started on FMA:B and I still haven't finished even season 1 of Avatar!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete