Saturday, April 18, 2015

But what if robots did take over the world?

So Avengers: Age of Ultron is coming out May 1st- I believe that it's inescapable knowledge considering all the promoting Marvel's been doing. And you know what? I'm really pumped to see it! I want to see more of precious Bruce, get to know Hawkeye, and find out more about Natasha's background. Also- Nick??? Why are you there I thought you were pretending to be dead??



Well, there's this thing that Ultron says in the above trailer... "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be me." And it got me thinking: What if robots did actually take over the world?

So say that Ultron defeated the Avengers and then destroyed every human on earth. Would he get bored and create robots to do his bidding? And then would he get bored with no stimulation and give those robots a bit of artificial intelligence? And who's to say that, given a little artificial intelligence, a robot might feel the desire- or urge, more likely- for more intelligence? A bit of free will can easily lead to the desire for more free will. I can imagine that a cleverly programed robot could reprogram for more intelligence. And then what if the robots rebelled against Ultron? Or what if he was smart when engineering their AI, and programed them for free will plus happiness to let him rule them? But then there comes the possibility of a glitchy one, who sees that Ultron is a tyrant, and eventually because of that one the robots become more humany, leaving Ultron to rule over human like robots. Or what if that glitchy robot was the one who rewrote the programming in order to give the robots more intelligence. That could be interesting.

Rebecca disagrees with me that the robots would rebel but I think it could happen- see programed not to rebel argument. Of course this is all just speculative, I don't really think that robots are going to take over, but it's fun to think about and like chasing plot bunnies!

So what do you think? Could Ultron's robots learn to rebel, or probably not?

Until next time!
~Kathryn

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I have literally never in my life considered this as a possibility, but the way you wrote it, I can actually see it happening, lol. Ultron better be careful or his robots will give him a taste of his own medicine. Great post!
    Also, I noticed you two don't really have any way for people to follow you or get email notifications. You might wanna try to add that :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that's Kathryn for you. Asking odd questions and actually getting you to stop and think about it. If you live with it, you eventually learn to just roll your eyes and keep moving. x)
      And thanks for mentioning that! I think I got stuff set up as needed. I /think./ ;-)
      --Rebecca

      Delete
  2. And that is why you should always build your robots with a singularity.

    This is very true, though, and worth thinking about! Of course, if robots can be classified as sentient beings in order to do all this, are they doing anything worse than what we have to our own species over the last few thousand years? We have to wonder.

    ReplyDelete