Thursday, April 30, 2015

Once Upon a Time review

I began watching OUaT with hopes that were simultaneously high, and low. High, because fairy tales. Low, because potentially crappy retellings of fairy tales.

For the first season was amazing. Had the somewhat sappy feeling, as would be expected of a fairy tale based show, but was still really good. The second season was pretty good as well. The villains were decent (More than decent in some ways. Like a certain pirate. Who is highly attractive.) and Emma went through some good character growth.

I wasn't fond of the way they portrayed some of the characters, like Mulan and Aurora. Mulan was portrayed almost like she was head-over-heels for Philip and jealously protective, which would not be the case, and Aurora was a whiny little girl who could do nothing on her own. They weren't in that many episodes, though, so I could live with it.

The third season was decent. The main villain in the first half of it was amazing, although the reveal on who he was wasn't all that spectacular. But maybe because I'd had some spoilers floating around on the social media I was on at the time. The villain in the second half was good as well, although maybe not the crowning glory of OUaT. Her history was great, and the person playing her was good. I don't remember them doing a lot of dancing around in circles, which was what ended up happening in the beginning of season four.

The first villain of season four, Ingrid/the Snow Queen, was way too obsessed with family and that part of the season felt like it stretched on forever. And then once she's wrapped up and tucked away (finally.) Cruella, Ursula, and Maleficent show up.

Maleficent looks like she might be cool. (I'm holding out hope, because dragons. Even though OUaT has somewhat [okay very] crappy graphics for their dragons.) Cruella was a joke, and Ursula was just off. Maybe because of the Disney movies, but still.

OUaT makeup and costuming feels like it's going downhill along with the plots. I mean, look at Cruella's eyebrows:
http://gossipandgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/image8.jpg
Do they seem outrageously thick to anyone else, or is that just me??

And the Charmings. I'm starting to detest them. In the "Next week on Once Upon a Time" thing, Snow was shown being thrown against a rock, forehead first. My reaction? "I hope she dies this time."
No joke.
I actually said that.
Out loud.
Around my sister and Mom.
And meant it.
Because they act sooo darn perfect, but actually? They've screwed up so many times, that it's impressive that they're still trying to act all hoity-toity and noble and pure. And they're aaaaallways going "WE HAVE TO HIDE THIS FROM EMMA"

No 
You nutcases
That is the worst thing you could do!!! 

*Starts quietly flailing and snarling before calming down*

Needless to say, the only reason I'm still watching the show at this point is for Hook and Regina. Both of which have had impressive character growth, and are quite admirable to me at this point.

Okay. I'll stop fuming and give you guys my ranking for stuff:
Characters are probably around 6 out of 10. Not the worst, mainly because some of them are okay. But not the best either.
Plot is 7 out of 10. Would have potentially been an 8 out of 10 if the Snow Queen hadn't lasted so doggon long.
Graphics is a 5 out of 10. It's blatantly obvious what's set in the Enchanted Forest, and what's set in our world.
Family friendly is at 8 out of 10. Hook shows up and decides to slide a few comments in that a younger audience won't understand but adults will.
So over all ranking for this show is around 6 out of 10. I highly recommend the first season, and the second isn't that bad either. The farther beyond that you go, the less of a fan I become.

So. What do you guys think about Once Upon a Time?

Thank you for looking, and I shall see you Monday if Kathryn (or my own ranting) doesn't scare you off!!
--Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment