Thursday, May 28, 2015

Swept to Sea Review

I'll freely admit that I was pleasantly surprised by Swept to Sea, by Heather Manning.

I'm not typically one for romance stories-- I find them a little frivolous, to be honest. But this one is well written and makes you care about the characters, beyond just shipping them. (Which, incidentally, is amusing now that I think about it. Shipping the two main characters, I mean. Because they're on a ship. So you're shipping a ship that's already on a ship. Or maybe that's not actually all that funny and it's just my weird humor coming out. Who knows.)
 http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/funny-ship-shipping-ships-pics.jpg

I think one of the reasons its somewhat different than any romance story I've read is because the main characters are somewhat conflicted about liking the other, the female main especially. It adds a wonderful sense of three-dimension to them, since they're doing more than quietly going 'Ooh I like them and want to be with them for the rest of my life' and swooning idiotically over the other. It brings in reality and just a tiny hint of conflict, fleshing everything-- not just the characters, but the plot too-- out quite nicely.

I also happened to ship another ship that I didn't think was happened but a tiny hint was dropped that it maybe could, which I was happy about.

The characters were well rounded. Caspian is a dear, and Eden is also really sweet. Reed is a tiny cutie and Gage is wonderful. I also like Ivy, and Aimee is... okay. I slightly share Matthew's opinion of her. Her snootiness, anyhow.
I was ever so slightly disappointed in Eden, because she didn't attempt to learn how to protect herself. But I'm trying to keep reminding myself that, in that time, women weren't expected to know how to defend themselves. So it's not her fault, since she wasn't raised to think like that. And yet, at the same time, she was being attacked and... I dunno.

Like I said before, the plot was decently rounded out for a romance novel. I'll admit I was a tiny bit dissatisfied with the climax, but mainly because my typical reading material is more action/adventure, which requires a different writing style than romance.

So for my rankings, I think I give characters an 8 out of 10
Plot gets a 9 out of 10
Family friendliness is 8 out of 10
And overall is 8.5 out of 10

So yeah. Even if you don't typically like romance books, I recommend you read Swept to Sea. It's very good.

See you all on Monday, if Kathryn doesn't scare you away!!
--Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you've found a romance you liked! Personally I found the "ships being shipped on a ship" thing, quite humorous. I like a good romantic tale every now and then, so I'll have to give this a shot! :)

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good-- glad wasn't just my lunacy coming out. x) And you definitely should. Its a really good book! :-) (As I said above... *Coughs and awkwardly scuttles away*)

      --Rebecca

      Delete